Hear me out: Hiring a creative agency is a lot like picking a spouse.
Choosing a creative agency is the beginning of a (hopefully – if you pick the right one) long relationship. They are your co-captain in the sailing of the ship that is your business, so to speak. You will invest quite a bit of your time and money with the agency you choose. They need to understand you, you need to be on the same page as them creatively, and you need to see each other as equals in the creative launching of your business.
So how do you know you’re hiring a creative agency perfect for you?
Too often we focus on what not to look for and we wanted to take a different approach.
Here are six green flags to look for when you’re trying to pick a creative agency:
Do they ask the right questions?
- Do they try to understand your vision?
- Do they ask things that help you better understand your vision?
- Do they ask questions with grace and curiosity and lack of judgment?
- Are they getting to the root of your problem? (Or will you be back hiring another designer in 6 months?)
Are they well-versed?
- Do they understand SEO?
- Can they easily implement your ideas across various platforms?
- Are they up to date on trends?
- Have they worked with brands in various industries?
- Is the team educated and understanding?
They are transparent.
- They give you a detailed timeline of the project (like exact due dates)
- They have available references and client testimonials.
- They can answer design industry questions with ease.
- They are clear about their creative process.
Communication is clear.
- They detail exactly what they expect from you and what they will deliver in return.
- There is a clear way to communicate: email, phone, chat platform, etc.
- You get a timely response when you reach out to them (respecting boundaries, of course).
- They address your concerns with ease and provide backed responses.
They have a culture and personality.
- This relationship is vital and you want them to feel like an extension of your own team/business. Are you compatible?
- Do you have matching values – both business and personal?
- You’re able to get a feel of them from their website and social channels.
- Ideally, you want this to be a long-term relationship – so treat it like one and find traits you desire in the team you choose.
Their content is new.
- A creative agency needs to be, well, creative. Are they consistently pushing new content online? Blogs, reviews, podcasts, website updates, photos, etc.
- Are they active on various social media platforms?
- Do they engage with their followers and clientele online? Responding to comments, DMs, etc.
- Do they have an active email newsletter? You should be on it.
Choosing a creative agency that fits your budget, business, personality, and values is a huge investment, and I’m not just talking about the money aspect of things.
Your creative agency is your partner. The relationship must be healthy, moving forward, and not detrimental – no different than any other personal or romantic relationship in your life.
We love, value, and respect each of our clients and know that these green flags are the key to pushing your business further ahead.
Are we the creative agency for you? Let’s find out